« Linking to Meaningful Data in an ELN World | Main | Love/Hate Continued... »

April 09, 2008

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Rich Apodaca

Ryan, very interesting discussion.

You friend's perception is very common among software developers. The thing is - developers are by definition are computer experts who, when they understand the problem domain, are going to want as much power as they can get.

For everyone else, it's all too easy to not even look at a piece of software who's fundamental purpose is obscured by layer upon layer of expert features. They just tune out and the only ones who end up using the software and giving feedback are the power users - which unfortunately reinforces the misconception.

NMR Lite sounds like a good idea. 80% of users only use 20% of an app's features anyway. Making that 20% work perfectly and leaving out the other 80% altogether is, IMO, a decent strategy to build products scientists will actually enjoy using - repeatedly.

Ryan Sasaki

Hi Rich,

Thanks very much for your comments as they anticipate and lead to the topic of my next intended post.

In short, I think that the key to adding layers of expert features is first and foremost ensuring that they don't get in the way of the primary workflow.

Stay tuned and I'll provide an example. As always, I'd love to hear your feedback.

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...

Post a comment

Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

Your Information

(Name is required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)